Monthly archives: May 2019

LIVE Party Pics, June 19

LIVE Party Pics, June 19 Margaret Kelly and Wendy Ward, of Maitland, were at the Boney M concert at Wests on Sunday. Pic: Dean Osland
南京夜网

Christian and Cheryl Todd, of Maryland, were at the Boney M concert at Wests on Sunday. Pic: Dean Osland

Helen and Bill Myers, of Raymond Terrace, were at the Boney M concert at Wests on Sunday. Pic: Dean Osland

David and Louisa McLellan, of Gateshead West, were at the Boney M concert at Wests on Sunday. Pic: Dean Osland

Cliff and Debbie Corder, of Salamander, were at the Boney M concert at Wests on Sunday. Pic: Dean Osland

John and Darienne Carraro, of Ashtonfield, were at the Boney M concert at Wests on Sunday. Pic: Dean Osland

Norm and Pat Rose, of Edgeworth, were at the Boney M concert at Wests on Sunday. Pic: Dean Osland

Shelly and Emery Kertesz, of Salamander Bay, were at the Boney M concert at Wests on Sunday. Pic: Dean Osland

Kristy Mitchell, of New Lambton, and Collin Hollibone, of Maryville, were at the Bones Jones and the Skeletones show at the Lass O’Gowrie on Friday. Picture: Ryan Osland

Meegan Jones, of Islington, Alana Mondy, of Cooks Hill, and Greer Allen, of Melbourne, were at the Bones Jones and the Skeletones show at the Lass O’Gowrie on Friday. Picture: Ryan Osland

Sharon Longrod, of Wickham, and Darcy Pegg, of Mayfield East, were at the Bones Jones and the Skeletones show at the Lass O’Gowrie on Friday. Picture: Ryan Osland

Elise Gilbert and Sasha Flowerdale, of Hamilton, were at the Bones Jones and the Skeletones show at the Lass O’Gowrie on Friday. Picture: Ryan Osland

Clancy Thomas, of Maryville, and Jess Scala, of Carrington, were at the Bones Jones and the Skeletones show at the Lass O’Gowrie on Friday. Picture: Ryan Osland

Tim Glover and Ben Tranter, both of Greta, were at the Bones Jones and the Skeletones show at the Lass O’Gowrie on Friday. Picture: Ryan Osland

Krystan Nowak, of Tighes Hill, and Matthew Lowe, of Waratah West, were at the Bones Jones and the Skeletones show at the Lass O’Gowrie on Friday. Picture: Ryan Osland

Svenya Loretuzen, of Bar Beach, Al Mankee, of Merewether, Gronya Shascoe, of Newcastle, Alex Beardman,of Bar Beach, and Bianca Guarnieri, of Wickham, were at the Bones Jones and the Skeletones show at the Lass O’Gowrie on Friday. Picture: Ryan Osland

TweetFacebook

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on LIVE Party Pics, June 19

Josh Thomas’ show Please Like Me nominated for Rose d’Or

Comedian Josh Thomas’s show Please Like Me has been nominated for a prestigious international television award, the Rose d’Or.
南京夜网

The ABC2 comedy series, which is written by and stars Thomas, is the only Australian show to pick up a nomination across the six television categories in this year’s awards.

Nominated in the sitcom category, Please Like Me is up against two contenders from United Kingdom: Channel 4’s Toast of London, and Yonderland on BskyB.

The famously-bashful Thomas remained reticent about the show’s nomination.

“I still don’t know what to say about it,” he told Fairfax Media. “It’s nice, but also I think awards are a bit silly. But I don’t want to be a brat about it by saying I think awards are a bit silly.”

With the winner to be announced at the 53rd Rose d’Or award ceremony in Berlin in September 17, Thomas said he hoped to make the ceremony but may be too busy working on the show’s yet-to-be commission third season.

“I’d love to go to Berlin. I love sausages. And I’m sure I love German homosexuals,” he said. “But I’ve got to start working on season three.”

Premiering as a six-part series on ABC2 in February last year, Please Like Me has been renewed for a 10-episode second season after proving a hit with audiences. US network Pivot, which premiered the show in August last year, has also green-lighted the second season.

Australia has been well-represented in the Rose d’Or awards in recent years, with Gruen Sweat picking up the 2013 gong for best entertainment show for their Olympics-themed analysis of the advertising world.

Other Australian winners include: The Eternity Man for Best Performing Arts program in 2009, SBS series Go Back to Where You Came From for best factual entertainment in 2012, Chris Lilley’s We Can be Heroes for Best Male Comedy Performance in 2006, and the ABC’s Girl in a Mirror won the Arts and Specials Awards in 2006.

Woah. Guys. We’re nominated for a 2014 Rose D’Or Award! We are nominated for Best Sitcom! pic.twitter南京夜网/S1VrjLvR00 — Please like me. (@Please_like_me) June 17, 2014

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on Josh Thomas’ show Please Like Me nominated for Rose d’Or

Canberra’s Mad Men moment

A screen grab from US TV show Mad Men showing Canberra as a backdrop for a flight over California. Photo: Screen grab Mad Men
南京夜网

Canberra has made a cameo appearance in the acclaimed American television series Mad Men just two weeks after receiving a gushing review from The New York Times.

A sharp-eyed Canberra Times reader spotted the aerial view of the capital city during the series seven episode entitled Waterloo.

The scene sees character Ted Chaough, who runs an advertising agency in competition with main character Don Draper, take his team up in a light plane above California before giving them a scare by cutting the engine.

The characters touch on their fear of flying and the challenges faced by American astronauts before the lunar landing of 1969 – a focus point of the episode.

Chaough even points to the ground at one stage (potentially near Queanbeyan) describing it as “a good spot for a smouldering wreckage”.

While Canberrans might feel a touch of excitement at a fleeting moment of Mad Men cool, perhaps they might also be mildly offended the producers cast our city in a 1960s period drama, rather than as a modern city of natural beauty with a “decidedly hipster underbelly”.

 

Did writer, director and producer Matthew Weiner think the Canberra skyline reflected the golden state some 50 years ago? Or was it just a random plunge into a stock footage database?

Determining an exact date of the footage is difficult but several clues can be taken from the Canberra landmarks.

In the foreground of the footage is the Royal Military College of Duntroon in Campbell, which was founded in 1911 and has been developed several times since.

The National Library of Australia, which was opened by prime minister John Gorton in 1968, can be seen on the southern bank of Lake Burley Griffin. This would correlate with the timeline of the episode, which is based in July 1969.

Questacon – which moved next to the lake in 1988 – can be seen to the left of the National Library along with the National Carillon, which was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in April 1970. The Captain James Cook Memorial water jet can also be seen on Lake Burley Griffin.

Indicating the footage is quite recent is Reconciliation Place, opened by prime minister John Howard in 2002, and – if you look closely enough – the distant shape of the National Museum of Australia (opened 2001) and its distinctive orange loop.

Our questions to Weiner went unanswered, so if you know more about the footage, let us know.

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on Canberra’s Mad Men moment

Steve Fesus bail reasons revealed by judge following outcry

An alleged wife killer who successfully applied for bail under the state’s new bail laws will not be a risk to the community, a Supreme Court judge has ruled.
南京夜网

Steve Fesus, 41, who is charged with strangling his wife Jodie in 1997 and dumping her body in a shallow beach grave near Wollongong, was bailed on Monday, becoming the first accused murderer to test the state’s new bail laws.

Justice Michael Adams initially placed a non-publication order on his reasons for granting bail. However, he lifted the suppression order on Wednesday following widespread publicity and outrage from victims’ groups.

Mr Fesus was charged with murder  last year and pleaded not guilty, almost 17 years after Mrs Fesus went missing from the couple’s Mount Warrigal home.

The Supreme Court heard on Monday there was some evidence that the newlyweds argued in the months leading up to Mrs Fesus’ death, with Mrs Fesus, 18, threatening to leave her husband and take their children if he did not change his attitude.

Mr Fesus previously made two unsuccessful bail applications. A third application on Monday, in light of changes to the Bail Act introduced on May 20, was successful.

Under previous laws, every criminal charge carried an automatic bail presumption, either in favour, against or neutral. Murder carried a presumption against bail.

Under new laws, the presumption has been abolished. Instead, a case-by-case risk assessment will determine bail based on whether the accused poses a serious risk to community safety, is likely to commit further crimes or is likely to abscond.

Accused criminals can re-apply for bail if previous concerns can be mitigated by strict conditions.

Mr Fesus was allowed to make a third bail application because new forensic evidence was presented which raised doubt over Mrs Fesus’ cause of death, Justice Adams said.

He said the new evidence ”significantly” affected the strength of the prosecution case against Mr Fesus and was given more weight under the new laws.

However, he clarified that a change in the strength of the prosecution case would still be enough to make a bail application under the old laws.

”It should not be assumed that, had the present application been brought under the old Act, bail would have been refused,” he said.

He said Mr Fesus would not endanger the safety of the community and was likely to show up to future court appearances.

”Viewing the information tendered on the application as a whole, I think that, on the balance of probabilities, the applicant does not present an unacceptable risk of failing to appear at any proceedings for the offence, committing a serious offence, endangering the safety of victims, individuals or the community, or interfering with witnesses or evidence,” he said.

On Monday, anti-violence campaigner Ken Marslew, whose son was murdered in 1994, said the decision to grant Mr Fesus bail was like a ”slap in the face” to murder victims and their families.

”The new bail laws are not in the best interests of the community,” he said.

”There’s more to it than just whether they’re a risk to the community. Imagine having lost a loved one and then seeing the person accused of their murder out on bail, walking freely. It’s a slap in the face to anyone who has lost a loved one in those circumstances.”

Sydney father Mark Leveson, whose son Matthew was murdered in 2007, said it was a ”deplorable and dangerous outcome”.

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on Steve Fesus bail reasons revealed by judge following outcry

More children home alone in the school holidays

Parents seem more comfortable than they were a decade ago to leave their children unsupervised during school holidays.Ten appears to be the magic age for children to become “latch-key kids” left unsupervised by parents before or after school.
南京夜网

But being left home alone in the school holidays is another matter, and more parents are waiting until their child turns 11 before they go unsupervised in the holidays. The statistics come as Victorian and NSW schools begin to wind down for the mid-year holidays.

The number of parents leaving their child unsupervised by an adult, or supervised by a sibling, during school terms and in the holidays increased over most age groups in the decade from 2002 to 2012, statistics from the largest national study of Australian households show.

The number of 14-year-olds left unsupervised during school holidays jumped from 37 to 53 per cent, according to the Household Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia figures.

The percentage of children aged six to nine left alone on school holidays marginally increased, from 8.1 per cent to 9.4 per cent.

During the school term though, parents seem less keen than they were a decade ago to leave younger children unsupervised.

While many figures have increased over the decade, the percentage of six to nine-year-olds and 11-year-olds either coming home to an empty house or getting to school alone has decreased. Unsupervised six to nine-year-olds are down from 15 per cent to 13 per cent, and for 11-year-olds from 33 per cent to 28 per cent.

There was a slight increase in the number of 10-year-olds at home by themselves over the same period.

Dr Sarah Wise, from Melbourne University’s department of social work, said leaving children unsupervised was not new and the term ”latch-key kids” had a connotation of neglect that was not necessarily the case.

Most working parents struggled to match their children’s school holidays, Dr Wise said.

“I have primary school-age children and we ask what are we going to do every holidays,” Dr Wise said.

”There is no magic rule in terms of making these decisions,” she said.

”The best option is adult supervision but parents know their children and their family and neighbourhood situation best. They make these decisions based on maturity, how long their children are being left for and on sibling dynamics as well,” she said.

On the magic ages of 10 for being left unsupervised during the school term and 11 in the holidays, she said this coincided with a maturity leap at about that age when children began to show confidence in looking after their own safety and in following instructions.

”Children are willing and keen to show their competence. You wouldn’t leave a child who was frightened or nervous or doesn’t feel happy being left with a brother or sister they don’t get along with. Parents are responsible and really weigh up the decision,” she said.

Dr Wise suspected that the younger children were left with an older sibling rather than being left alone for long periods.

She said many school holiday programs did not operate at work-friendly times or were too costly for some parents.

The statistics show that from age 13, more often than not children are going it alone at some time during the school week. The number of 14-year-olds taking care of themselves during the school term has increased from 54 per cent to 61 per cent.

Dr Wise said the statistics seemed to show that when children were 14, parents were ”fairly confident that their children have a level of confidence to look after themselves”.

She said children were often savvy with digital technology and while parents might not be nearby, their children were very able to text or Skype to get in touch with their parents.

The figures do not show how long children are left for, nor the age of the sibling who might be left in charge.

The federal government-sponsored Raising Children Network website says there is no law that states when children can be left alone. Parents are legally obligated to ensure their children are properly cared for and cannot be placed in a dangerous situation.

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on More children home alone in the school holidays

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark.